U.S. Air Force - Agency Wide TELECOMMUNICATIONS SPECIALIST in Barksdale AFB, Louisiana
This position is in the Air Force Global Strike Command.
The mission of the Air Force Global Strike Command is to develop and provide safe, secure and credible combat-ready forces for nuclear deterrence and global strike operations to support the President of the United States and combatant commanders.
Click here to view the AF Civilian Employment Eligibility Guide:
Internal Employees (Air Force Employee - Current Permanent Competitive Service Career/Career-Conditional Employee and Current Permanent AF DCIPS Employees with Reinstatement Rights to the Competitive Service) DoD Transfer - Army, Navy, DFAS, etc. (Excluding Air Force) Former Federal Employees (Reinstatement) Schedule A - Individual with Disabilities - click here for additional information ICTAP (Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program) Non-DoD Transfer (OPM, VA, Dept of Labor, etc.) VEOA (Veterans Employment Opportunity Act) 30% Disabled Veterans
You MUST have one or more listed eligibilities to be considered. Eligibility claims must be supported with required documentation submitted with each application package to be considered. "Transfer" and "Reinstatement" eligibles must provide their most current SF-50 and the SF-50 reflecting the highest grade held if not reflected on most current/separation SF-50. *Air Force is not responsible for erroneous eligibilities you list or fail to list.
Learn more about this agency
- The primary purpose of this position is to serve as a major command level telecommunications requirements, implementation manager, NC3 systems specialist, and monitor of telecommunications programs and /or systems of the Air Force NC3 Weapon System and associated NC3 systems assigned across the Air Force to provide the President of the United States, Secretary of Defense, the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, and other National leaders the worldwide system of systems needed to command and control the Nation's nuclear arsenal throughout the spectrum of conflict.
- Provides telecommunications knowledge and support in estimating the installation, modification, maintenance, operation, and support of both existing and new telecommunications systems.
- Implements telecommunication programs and special projects. Serves as the specialist responsible for the successful implementation of various telecommunications programs/projects that span across multiple bases and MAJCOMs.
- Represents MAJCOM on NC3 programs and coordinates with other MAJCOMs, NC3 System Program Offices and other DoD agencies. Establishes, develops, and maintains effective working relationships with DoD, COCOM, HAF, MAJCOM, Program Offices, and other DoD agencies level counterparts.
- Prepares budgets, technical reports, staff studies, briefings and command positions. Prepares budgetary data in support of programs/projects, NC3 systems, and telecommunications systems.
- Leads and Participates in discussions, meetings, committees or special projects; presents briefings and prepares recommendations and reports.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
- #### Job family (Series)
Conditions of Employment
- U.S. Citizenship Required
- Males must be registered for Selective Service, see www.sss.gov.
- A Top Secret security clearance is required
- This posn is subject to provisions of the DoD Priority Placement Program
- Work may occasionally require travel away from the normal duty station on military or commercial aircraft.
- The employee may be required to work other than normal duty hours, which may include evenings, weekends, and/or holidays.
- Recall to duty may be a requirement of this position.
- Overtime and/or emergency overtime may be required.
- This is a testing designated position (TDP). The employee is subject to random drug testing and periodic polygraph examination as a condition of employment.
- A master's degree is highly desired or equivalent years of experience may be deemed acceptable.
- A minimum of five years' experience with NC3 Communications Systems is desirable.
- Employee must possess knowledge and familiarity with the Bomber, Tanker, Airborne Command Posts, Senior Leader, Command Posts and or ICBM mission areas/systems such as:
- Defense Injection/Reception EAM Command and Control Terminal (DIRECT), Strategic Automated Command and Control System (SACCS), Minuteman MEECN program (MMP).
- Hardened Inter-site Cable System (HICS), Missile Radio, and Missile Control Communications System (MCCS), Strategic Emergency Action Telephone System (SEA TS),
- Aircrew Alerting Communications Electromagnetic Pulse (AACE) System, EMP Hardened Dispersal Communications (EHDC), Higher AuthorityCommand/Rapid Message Processing Equipment (HAC/RMPE), Single Channel Anti-jam Man Portable (SCAMP),
- Miniature Receive Terminal (MRT), Modified Miniature Receive Terminal (MMRT), Transfer Module Service Set (TMSS), Very Low Frequency/Low Frequency (VLF/LF), and the Airborne Launch Control System (ALCS),
- NC3 UHF LOS radios, NC3 HF radios, TRC-194, ITW AA systems, Command Post Terminals, MPAS, voice conferencing systems and other telecommunications systems part of the Nuclear Enterprise.
- Incumbent must possess knowledge of sustainment, lifecycle planning, and resource management for the above systems from a MAJCOM perspective.
Specialized Experience:Must have one year of specialized experience which has equipped me with the particular knowledge, skills, and abilities (KSAs) to successfully perform the duties of the position, and that is typically in or related to the position to be filled. My experience includes knowledge of a wide range of NC3 and telecommunications theories, concepts, principles, and practices, procedures, policies, standards, operational requirements; and of operational and performance characteristics of NC3 telecommunications equipment, NC3 systems, services and transmission media to evaluate devices, proposals, and approaches. Work encompasses complex and uncommon interfaces and policies and practices; sources of technical data to evaluate new devices, proposals, and approaches. This definition of specialized experience is typical of work performed at the next lower grade/level position (GS-11).
Some federal jobs allow you to substitute your education for the required experience in order to qualify. For this job, you must meet the qualification requirement using experience alone--no substitution of education for experience is permitted.
FEDERAL TIME-IN-GRADE (TIG) REQUIREMENT FOR GENERAL SCHEDULE (GS) POSITIONS: Applicants must have served at least 52 weeks at the GS-11 or higher grade (or equivalent in an alternate pay system) within the Federal Civil Service to be considered for referral. TIG applies if you are in a current GS position or held a GS position within the previous 52 weeks.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (KSAs):Your qualifications will be evaluated on the basis of your level of knowledge, skills, abilities and/or competencies in the following areas: 1. Knowledge of NC3 Systems and associated programmatic activities at the AFGSC level as well as familiarity at the DoD and Air Force level. 2. Knowledge of a wide range of telecommunications theories, concepts, principles, practices, procedures, policies, standards, operational requirements; and of operational and performance characteristics of telecommunications equipment, systems, services and transmission media to evaluate devices, proposals and approaches. 3. Knowledge of basic electronics theory and operating principles, and the application of existing and planned technology for communications requirements, equipment interoperability and compatibility. 4. Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing to identify, direct, or coordinate actions required in providing appropriate command positions and solutions. 5. Employee must possess knowledge and familiarity with the Bomber, Tanker, Airborne Command Posts, Senior Leader, Command Posts, Primary Command Posts, and ICBM mission areas/systems as it relates to NC3. 6. Employee must possess knowledge of advocacy, sustainment, lifecycle planning, and resource management for the above systems from a MAJCOM perspective.
PART-TIME OR UNPAID EXPERIENCE:Credit will be given for appropriate unpaid and or part-time work. You must clearly identify the duties and responsibilities in each position held and the total number of hours per week.
VOLUNTEER WORK EXPERIENCE: Refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service Programs (i.e., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student and social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge and skills that can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
IF USING EDUCATION TO QUALIFY:You MUSTprovide transcripts to support your educational claims. Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
FOREIGN EDUCATION: Education completed in foreign colleges or universities may be used to meet the requirements. You must show proof the education credentials have been deemed to be at least equivalent to that gained in conventional U.S. education program. It is your responsibility to provide such evidence when applying.
Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP):For information on how to apply as an ICTAP eligible click here. To be well-qualified and exercise selection priority for this vacancy, displaced Federal employees must be rated well qualified or above for this position. You must submit a copy of the agency notice, your most recent performance rating, and your most recent SF-50 noting position, grade level, and duty location.
Employed Annuitants (Reemployed Annuitants):Applicants in receipt of an annuity based on civilian employment in the Federal Service are subject to the DoD Policy on The Employment of Annuitants. Click here for more information.
90-Day Register:This announcement may result in a 90-day register that may be used to fill like vacancies for 90 days after the closing date. Applicants may be referred for consideration as vacancies occur.
Direct Deposit: All federal employees are required to have direct deposit.
If you have questions regarding this announcement and have hearing or speech difficulties click here.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Your application package (resume, supporting documents, and responses to the questionnaire) will be used to determine your eligibility, qualifications, and quality ranking for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating or consideration for employment.
The resume/documents you submit must support your responses to the online questionnaire. If your application contradicts or does not support your questionnaire responses, you will receive a rating of "not qualified" or "insufficient information" and you will not receive further consideration for this job.
Applicants who meet the requirements for and apply as a non-competitive eligible that meet minimal qualifications and other requirements of this position, will be given consideration as a non-competitive candidate and will be referred unless blocked by an individual with priority/preference.
Applicants who disqualify themselves will not be evaluated further.
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes: 1. Your Resume (your latest resume will be used to determine your qualifications)
- If you submit more than one copy of your resume, only the most recent (latest) version will be reviewed. The latest timestamp will be used to determine which version of your resume is "most recent." It is your responsibility to check the status and timestamp of all documents you submit as part of your application.
- If your resume includes a photograph or other inappropriate material or content, you will notbe considered for this vacancy.
- For qualification determinations your resume must contain hours worked per week and dates of employment (i.e., hours per week and month/year to month/year or month/year to present). If your resume does not contain this information, your application may be marked as insufficient and you will not receive consideration for this position.
- A complete Application Questionnaire
- Additional Required Documents (see Required Documents section below). Ensure all submitted documents contain your full name, address, phone number, and last four digits of your social security number.
Background checks and security clearance
- Required Documents
The following documents are required and must be provided with your application. Other documents may be required based on the eligibility/eligibilities you are claiming. Click here to view the AF Civilian Employment Eligibility Guide and the required documents you must submit to substantiate the eligibilities you are claiming.
- Online Application - Questionnaire
- Resume - must include beginning and ending month and year for each employment period, hours worked and supervisor
- Transcripts - if qualifying based on education or positive education series (can be a copy)
- Registration/License - active, current registration/license if applicable for the position
- Veterans' Preference - a copy of your DD Form 214, which must include character of service or a Statement of Service/Proof of Service which must include service dates and character of service. In addition, if claiming 10-point preference you must submit a VA Letter or a disability determination from a branch of the Armed Forces (or documentation of purple heart, if applicable) and a SF 15 (Application for 10-point veteran preference). ACTIVE DUTY SERVICE MEMBERS: The VOW Act Chapter 21 of Title 5, United States Code (U.S.C.), Section 2108a, requires Federal agencies treat active duty service member as veterans, disabled veterans, and preference eligible, when they submit, at the time they apply for a Federal job, a "certification" of active service in lieu of a DD-214, assuming the service member is otherwise eligible. A "certification" letter should be on letterhead of the appropriate military branch of the service and contain (1) the military service dates including the expected discharge or release date; and (2) the character of service. The service member's military service dates are necessary in order to determine whether he or she meets the definition of "veteran" under 5 U.S.C. 2108(1). The "certification" must reflect the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions not later than 120 days after the date of submission. The "certification" must be signed by, or by direction of, the adjutant, personnel officer, or commander of your unit or higher headquarters and must indicate when your terminal leave will begin (if applicable), your rank, dates of active duty service, the type of discharge and character of service (i.e. honorable). Further, under paragraph (h) of the rule, agencies are required to verify a qualifying separation from military service prior to appointment, through the DD-214 or other appropriate documentation. Your preference and/or appointment eligibility will be verified prior to appointment. Active duty members that fail to provide a valid "certification" of service with their initial application will be found "not eligible." Military members may be appointed before the effective date of their military retirement/separation if member is on terminal leave.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
Review our benefits
- How to Apply
How to Apply
The complete Application Package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (ET) on 04/23/2018
To preview the Application Questionnaire, please click the following link: https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/10076004
To begin the process, click the Apply Onlinebutton to create an account or log in to your existing USAJOBS account. Follow the prompts to complete the application questionnaire. Please ensure you click the Submit My Applicationbutton at the end of the process.
If you are unable to apply online, view the following link for information regarding Alternate Application. The Vacancy ID is 10076004
PLEASE NOTE: It is the applicant's responsibility to verify that information entered and/or uploaded, (i.e., resume) is received, accurate, and submitted by the closing date. You may verify your documents have been processed with your application package successfully. You can access your USAJOBS account to do so by clicking here. Uploaded documents may take up to one hour to clear the virus scan.
Human Resources WILL NOTmodify or change any answers submitted by an applicant.
Agency contact information
Total Force Service Center
GBS Barksdale AFB 345 Dave Avenue W Ste 223 Barksdale AFB, LA US
Learn more about this agency
Once your application package is received an acknowledgement email will be sent.
If you provided an email address, you will receive an email message acknowledging receipt of your application. Your application package will be used to determine your eligibility and qualifications for consideration. If you are determined to be ineligible or not qualified, your application will receive no further consideration.
To check the status of your application or return to a previous or incomplete application, log into your USAJOBS account, select My Applications, and click on the more information link under the application status for this position.
If you do not provide an email address, you are responsible for checking status updates and notifications in USAJOBS. Hard copy notifications will not be sent to you.
- Fair & Transparent
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
- Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) for federal employees & job applicants
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Learn more about disability employment and reasonable accommodations or how to contact an agency.
Legal and regulatory guidance
- Financial suitability
- Social security number request
- Privacy Act
- Signature and false statements
- Selective Service
- New employee probationary period
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/483872600. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.
Open & closing dates: 11/07/2017 to 04/23/2018
Salary: $72,168 to $93,821 per year
Pay scale & grade: GS 12
Work schedule: Full-Time
Appointment type: Permanent