Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration Physician (Chief, Primary Care Service) in Shreveport, Louisiana
This is a Physician (Chief, Primary Care Service) position at Overton Brooks VA Medical Center.
Learn more about this agency
This incumbent will serve as the Chief, Primary Care Service under the Chief of Staff (COS). The Chief Primary Care reports to and serves as the principle advisor to the COS in all professional, clinical, administrative, and quality performance matters. He/She is responsible for overseeing a comprehensive Primary Care/Patient Aligned Care Team (PACT) program for the medical management and education of patients and the Community Based Outpatient Clinics (CBOCs). The duties and responsibilities will include, but not limited to the following:
- Plans, implements, directs, and evaluates the activities of Primary Care Service and the three CBOCs, including requirements for staff, budget, equipment, and supplies.
- Conducts the programs through assistance of subordinates, but is ultimately responsible for the success and the fulfillment of the overall vision and mission of the program.
- Promotes quality patient care as a clinical expert in comprehensive Primary care.
- Monitoring and ensuring that Primary Care Service is in compliance with agency regulations, medical staff bylaws, facility policies, Joint Commission (JC) standards, and other regulations.
- Complies with medical staff bylaws and attends quarterly medical staff meetings.
- Overseeing professional and administrative activities within the assigned division including selection, orientation and continuing education of staff in collaboration with Physician leaders.
- Assisting in coordination of program development to strengthen Primary Care Service clinical, educational and research programs and operational issues: and advise the Chief of Staff about the adequacy and appropriateness of the organization's scope of services and its professional and support staff.
- Assuring that individuals with clinical privileges competently provide service within the scope of privileges granted.
- Recommending appointment and clinical privileges for each member of the division and others requesting privileges within the division.
- Incumbent will serve on or chair key clinical committees.
- Developing and implementing policies and procedures; oversight of administrative and programmatic resources; and monitoring outcomes using data-driven quality assurance processes
- Responsible for direct patient care for a panel of patients utilizing the PACT model.
- Achieves performance measure goals and participate in performance improvement initiatives including sustainment of PACT model and other Systems Redesign Rapid Process Improvement projects.
- Supervises Physician, Mid-level practitioners and other health care providers as assigned.
- Interfaces with other medical staff and health care professionals in the medical center in regards to Primary Care
- Direct the clinical work through subordinate supervisors who have delegated authority to direct the employees and control the work within their units.
- Interview candidates for subordinate positions; recommend hiring, promotion, or reassignments.
- Lead a multi-disciplinary team of individuals who collectively take responsibility for the ongoing care of patients. Work Schedule: Monday - Friday, 8:00 am to 4:30 pm Financial Disclosure Report: Not required Recruitment/Relocation Incentive is authorized for the highly qualified candidate
Occasional travel - Government travel to attend training, conferences, and meetings may be required.
- #### Job family (Series)
0602 Medical Officer
- Family Practice Physicians
- Internal Medicine Physicians
- Physicians, All Other
- Physicians, Family Practice
Physicians, Internal Medicine
Conditions of Employment
- United States Citizenship Required; non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy
- Designated and/or random drug testing required
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
- You may be required to serve a probationary period
- Subject to a background/security investigation
- Must be proficient in written and spoken English
- Selected applicants will be required to complete an online onboarding process
- Pre-Emplpoyment physical required
Basic Requirements: * United States Citizenship: Non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy. * Education: Degree of doctor of medicine or an equivalent degree resulting from a course of education in medicine or osteopathic medicine. The degree must have been obtained from one of the schools approved by the Department of Veterans Affairs for the year in which the course of study was completed. * License: Current, full and unrestricted license to practice medicine or surgery in a State, Territory, or Commonwealth of the United States, or in the District of Columbia. The physician must maintain current registration in the State of licensure if this is a requirement for continuing active, current licensure * Residency: Completion of residency training, or its equivalent, approved by the Secretary of Veterans Affairs in an accredited core specialty training program leading to eligibility for board certification. * English Language Proficiency: Physicians, including residents, appointed to direct patient-care positions must be proficient in spoken and written English as required by 38 U.S.C. 7402(d) and 7407(d). * Physical requirements outlined below. Service Chief or Line Manager. A Service Chief or Line Manager physician must demonstrate the following: (a) Outstanding professional ability in the practice of medicine or a medical specialty; (b) Ability to guide the development and implementation of programs within their respective domain. These programs would include, but are not limited to medical practice, professional standards, personnel issues, quality and performance improvement.
Preferred Experience: Board Certified/Board Eligible: Board Certified in Internal Medicine, Family Medicine, or Primary Care is highly desirable. BCLS: Basic Cardiac Life Support (BLS)
Reference:VA Regulations, specifically VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G-2 Physician Qualification Standard. This can be found in the local Human Resources Office.
Physical Requirements: Placement in this position is subject to meeting the physical requirements of this position. Pre-placement medical examination is required. See VA Directive and Handbook 5019. Walking (up to 8 hours); Standing (up to 8 hours); Repeated bending (up to 3 hours). Heavy lifting (45 lbs and over); Heavy carrying (45 lbs and over): Straight pulling and pushing; reaching above shoulder; use of fingers; both hands required; Ability for rapid mental and muscular coordination simultaneously.
Note:Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education. For further information, visit: http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html.
VA offers a comprehensive benefits package. This link provides an overview of the benefits associated with a VA practice: VHA physician brochure.
Annual leave shall accrue for full-time physicians at the rate of 26 days per leave year (1 day per pay period).
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
It is the policy of the VA to not deny employment to those that have faced financial hardships or periods of unemployment.
This position is in the Excepted Service and does not confer competitive status.
VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply. The health related positions in VA are covered by Title 38, and are not covered by the Schedule A excepted appointment authority.
Veterans and Transitioning Service Members: Please visit the VA for Vets site for career-search tools for Veterans seeking employment at VA, career development services for our existing Veterans, and coaching and reintegration support for military service members.
If you are unable to apply online view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
IN DESCRIBING YOUR EXPERIENCE, PLEASE BE CLEAR AND SPECIFIC. WE MAY NOT MAKE ASSUMPTIONS REGARDING YOUR EXPERIENCE.Your application, résumé, C.V., and/or supporting documentation will be verified. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect consideration for employment.
NOTE:Applicant's education and length of practice (experience) will be considered by a Compensation Panel in determining the salary of the applicant selected. The recommended salary may be at any point in the range listed for this vacancy.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Background checks and security clearance
Public Trust - Background Investigation
- Required Documents
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes (upload C.V. as resume document type):
VA Form 10-2850 - Application for Physicians, Dentists, Podiatrists, Optometrists & Chiropractors can be found at: http://www.va.gov/vaforms/searchaction.asp?FormNo=2850&tkey;=&Action;=Search.
The following documents are accepted, and may be required if applicable to your eligibility and/or qualifications for this position. Please use this checklistto ensure you have included all documents required for your application, such as a copy of your transcript (if using education to qualify), SF-50's, etc.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Review our benefits
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
- How to Apply
How to Apply
All applicants are encouraged to apply online. To apply for this position, you must complete the full questionnaire and submit the documentation specified in the Required Documents section below. The complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (ET) on 09/28/2018 to receive consideration.
- To begin, click Apply Online to create a USAJOBS account or log in to your existing account. Follow the prompts to select your USA JOBS resume and/or other supporting documents and complete the occupational questionnaire.
- Click Submit My Answers to submit your application package.
NOTE: It is your responsibility to ensure your responses and appropriate documentation is submitted prior to the closing date.
To verify your application is complete, log into your USA JOBS account, https://my.usajobs.gov/Account/Login, select the Application Status link and then select the more information link for this position. The Details page will display the status of your application, the documentation received and processed, and any correspondence the agency has sent related to this application. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process. To return to an incomplete application, log into your USA JOBS account and click Update Application in the vacancy announcement. You must re-select your resume and/or other documents from your USA JOBS account or your application will be incomplete.
Agency contact information
Overton Brooks VA Medical Center 510 East Stoner Avenue Shreveport, LA US
Learn more about this agency
Once your online application is submitted you will receive a confirmation notification by email. After we receive application packages (including all required documents) and the vacancy announcement closes, we will review applications to ensure qualification and eligibility requirements are met. After the review is complete, a referral certificate(s) is issued and applicants will be notified of their status by email. Referred applicants will be notified as such and may be contacted directly by the hiring office for an interview. All referred applicants receive a final notification once a selection decision has been made.
You may check the status of your application at any time by logging into your USA Jobs account and clicking on Applications. Information regarding your application status can be found in the USAJobs Help Center.
- Fair & Transparent
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
- Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) for federal employees & job applicants
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Learn more about disability employment and reasonable accommodations or how to contact an agency.
Legal and regulatory guidance
- Financial suitability
- Social security number request
- Privacy Act
- Signature and false statements
- Selective Service
- New employee probationary period
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/492613500. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.
Open & closing dates: 02/28/2018 to 09/28/2018
Salary: $120,000 to $262,000 per year
Pay scale & grade: VM 00
Work schedule: Full-Time
Appointment type: Permanent